There’s a lot to be done during the holidays: decorations to hang, presents to wrap, meals to prepare, travelling, shopping, visitors to welcome, and so much more! In fact, there’s so much to do during this time of year that some people may neglect the most basic and important things, like taking care of themselves.
Holiday festivities can challenge your physical, mental and emotional health. It’s easy to become overwhelmed, overworked and stressed with all that goes into preparing for and participating in these celebrations. However, you can fight stress and fatigue by taking proper care of yourself. Below are five tips on how to do this amidst the holiday chaos.
Exercise is always important, especially during the holiday season. If you go to gym, try to work out at least four times a week, and do aerobic exercises every day. Fortunately, there are plenty of things to do in Canada during the winter time. Hockey, ice skating, and snow shoeing are all fun forms of exercise. These sports will get your body working, your heart pumping and provide copious amounts of entertainment. To make it even more fun, you can ask your friends and family to come along for some serious bonding time and healthy competition.
A major part of feeling well is healthy eating. On average, most people gain five to ten pounds during the holidays. Play it smart, for your health’s sake:
- Be conscious of foods that are high in calories and low in nutrition.
- Eat the treats you love, but in moderation. Remember that over indulgence will most likely lead to weight gain. Besides that, too much sugar, fat and salt can increase stress and fatigue, and have negative effects on the skin.
- Eat smaller portions and don’t starve yourself while waiting for a big meal.
- Make smart food choices. Prepare a few healthy dishes for your guests or bring healthy dishes to dinner parties and gatherings. Remember to eat fresh and stay away from processed foods as much as possible, especially around meal-heavy days.
- Be aware of liquid calories, especially those in alcoholic drinks.
Find Ways to De-stress
Stress is heightened during the holidays because of the many things most people juggle during this time. A good way to minimize stress is to anticipate the sources and develop a plan for managing. This may mean that you have to step away from some of your commitments. So, you may have to attend or give fewer parties, set a tighter budget for Christmas gifts, leave yourself more room to shop, set up some alone time, engage in stress reducing activities, avoid confrontations, and do things that help you stay calm and stress-free.
Treat Yourself to Something Nice
Your pursuit to stay healthy during the holidays should also include treating yourself to something nice. This nice thing could be an entire day of rest, or even indulging in the health and beauty treatments that leave you feeling and looking your best.
Laser and Skin Care MedSpa offers a wide variety of skin care from acne to reversing skin aging, and other treatments. From skin resurfacing, cosmetic wrinkle solutions, laser facial vein treatments, therapeutic facials and pedicures.
Be proactive about your health this holiday season and make time to do something for yourself. Laser and Skin Care offers the most flexible schedule with evenings and most Saturdays available. Let the MedSpa treat you to some pampering!